Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Back to the basics

As many of you know I have been insanely busy with shooting sessions, scheduling, organizing, school and not to mention moving out of state. I am always and will forever be grateful for all the business that I am recieving. However, it is so refreshing and makes me feel at home when I get to come back to where it all started, my horses, our farm, and just being me. I have worked extremely hard, and spent a countless amount of hours trying to build my business, build my name. Being only twenty-one years old, some people may not take you seriously, so that has pushed me even harder to be successful. I was flying back from Georgia from a weekend trip, when I met this woman who was seated next to me on the plane. We got to talking about the business because she saw me editing a couple sessions. She asked how I had gotten started, what I wanted to do with it, and just small talk. After she had asked how old I was and what I was going to school for, she stopped and said "I am very proud of you for doing all of this- especially for only being twenty-one." Comments like this really mean a lot to me. After all the hours of dedication that I have put into this, the best thing I could ever receive is having my hard work recognized.

When I decided to start professionally I made a promise to myself that I wasn't going to lose who I was. I wasn't going to be this photographer who changed who they were to fit there clients or what style they wanted. I am who I am, and that is who I always promised to be. I haven't been in this industry long, but the one thing I have learned very quickly is that it is easy to get caught comparing yourself to fellow photographers. People compare others work to theirs ALL the time, I'll admit I've done it a few times. But that's why I love getting out and going back to shooting where I started from. Not only does it make you appreciate where you are now, but it also reinforces in my work who I am as an artist. So since it's been a little crazy around here lately, it was so nice to get back to basics here on the farm, just kick back and shoot. It reminds me every time why I decided to start this. For any of you who have horses, you will understand the muddiness that horses LOVE to have and know how hard it is to keep them away from it. So sit back and enjoy the ride!






If you remember, Boo is in a ton of my photos. He is very photogenic and always tends to weasel his way in front of the lens...show off!  


Feeling a little squirmy there Toast? 





You're probably thinking, "Lauren that's not muddy at all"...yeah right! There are 6 more to show you that it get's muddier!  







No comments:

Post a Comment